Sunday, January 31, 2016

Ustengrav pg 12

 


 We fought our way in and fought our way down into the depths of the barrow. Signar and Tex seemed to be making up for a day of rest by practically running from room to room, leaving me behind to check to make sure the Horn wasn't in one of those rooms. I really didn't think it would be, it should be in the central tomb, but one never knows.

  At one point all three of us stopped and stared out and down into the cavern, which seemed to go on to an unknown depth. We could see a pool and mist caused by a  waterfall that was barely a humm to our ears. The two of them were off like a shot, like two small children racing each other to the top of the hill. I hurried after them again but refused to run.

As we descended lower still, I started hearing a whispering chant, it sounded much like the one that I had heard in Bleakfalls, so perhaps another of the word walls? I rounded a corner and almost ran into the two of them as they stood there looking down into the cavern that we had seen earlier from above. I saw a bit of movement but my eyes would not completely focus on it in the dark.

Tex took off and I cast a light spell to the middle of the cavern or at least what I thought was the middle. My eyes adjusted just as Tex leap onto a Skeleton, to which Signar asked " What's a dog without a bone?" Then he to took off down the ramp. I made my way in a more leisurely fashion. From slightly higher than the cave bottom, I drew my bow and made to practice on the skeletons, they were an easy moving target and I really did need some practice.

When I started forward both Tex and Signar were headed back up another ramp, until I whistled and got their attention. I pointed in the direction, of the sound of the chanting and waterfall. They came back down and Signar followed me to the word wall. I felt the knowledge fill me and knew I would be able to use this Thu'um.

We explored this area and found only one more draugr behind the waterfall, I took the opportunity and washed the dust, sweat, and bone dust off of my face. I knew I might end up with more or I might have just bathed in the pool.

We headed back to the ramp and at the top found a puzzle lock, once we figured it out, it was a piece of cake. From there on out we only ran into some spiders, before we found the main Tomb and retrieved the Horn.

We went out by a set of trick doors, we could plainly see them to go out, but on turning around, once they closed, you could not see the door at all. As we exited we heard the familiar roar of a dragon and the scream of angry horses. As we topped the steps out of the barrow, Tex darted past me and Signar was on my heels.  I moved to the side, looking at the scene.

One of the horses was down, it looked to be the beautiful black dappled stallion. He was breathing still but it was labored, so I used my staff and summoned a Lesser Deadra and then hurried to the Herd Stallion and used a healing spell on him. After he was on his feet, he and his mares dispersed into the swamp. I looked around and found the dragon fighting a Chaurus, Tex was keeping his distance as either was liable to turn on him. Signar was shooting arrows into it from a safe distance, so I started lobbing firebolts at it.

Once the dragon was flaming bit's, Tex and Signar turned on the much-weakened chaurus and tore it to pieces.  I used healing spells on both, as they had gotten some of the poison from dragon and chaurus on themselves.

Because I didn't really feel like tramping through the swamp at night, Signar took all the dead bodies off and Tex patrolled the area. I built up the fire and when Tex brought me a rabbit, I skinned and gutted it, then spitted it. I knew he would catch another, but if he didn't then we would share.

When they came back to the fire we discussed our next plan's. I needed to give the Horn to Arngeir, but also, we needed time to mend gear and stock up on travel rations again. We would have a good mid-morning breakfast in Morthal, before collecting the horses and heading to Whiterun.

No comments:

Post a Comment