Monday, January 25, 2016

A pleasant day pg 11




I cooked our breakfast and waited for Signar to wake up. I was sitting on my bedroll repairing a splitting seam when he woke up. He gave me a sleepy little smile and asked how I felt this morning. I told him my head wasn't as mussy this morning and I could think clearly. I still felt as if I storm was brewing, but now I could see past it.

I asked if he would like breakfast he just raised a brow and I said it was toasted bread with some snowberries, I had crushed into a kind of spread and some boiled eggs, though if he really wanted some, Tex had caught another rabbit. Signar grimaced and said no, he'd make do with what I had made, Tex could eat the rabbit. I laughed and toasted the bread while he went down to the river to wash his face.

When he came back he sat on his bedroll and watched me mend the seams in my armor. I looked up and saw the contemplative look on his face and said "Ask if I can answer I will".

"Why do you wear that necklace if they can track you by it?" He inquired curiously.

"Because it's not actually the necklace that they are tracking, it's blood. Family blood to be exact, we all wear the necklaces so that we can keep track of each other.", I sighed and went back to mending my armor, but continued to speak " Though I have not felt any of my sisters in a few reincarnations. Now I don't think I shall. The stone changed from blood red to blue, I am not sure why as it only does this when the wearer dies and I'm not dead, at the moment anyway."

He looked at me with a puzzled expression, " Do you have any idea why it would do that, you said 'not sure' not that you didn't know?"

I shook my head, "It's an idea and might even be a far-fetched one. I think it has to do with this "Dragonborn" business, I'm pretty sure I had none of the "dragon blood" in me when I saved Kvatch. The Amulet of Kings can only be worn by those with dragon blood, I could not wear it. I tried once, before crossing a deep river, I didn't wish to lose it, so I tried to put it on, but I could not."

I looked up at him and gave a wry smile, " If fighting all these dragons doesn't kill me, I just may not have to worry about assassins tracking me down on my next re-birth, they know what I look like in this time."

He paused with a piece of toast almost in his mouth and then dropped his hand down, with a very startled look on his face, " What a minute, what do you mean they know what you look like now? You don't look the same always?"

I gave a soft laugh, " No, I look a little different in every reincarnation. Some things stay the same, and some change. My eyes are usually blue or green, my hair blond and I am always petite. That they could change once in a while... Oh to be a 6 ft Nord Battle-maiden. I always have magic, though in various degrees. If you saw me in Kvatch, you would think I was my own granddaughter or some kind of cousin, with very similar looks.

He nodded and that seemed to be the end of his curiosity for the day. That night as we lay down trying to get some sleep with Tex a wet snoring mess in between us, he asked some questions about my family. I answered as best I could, explaining about the male cousins that raised me. I told some rather amusing stories of some of the fixes that ladies in my family had gotten themselves into trying to stay alive and sane.

The next morning dawned clear and bright, we packed up camp and headed for Usengrav to get the Horn for the Greybeards. We stopped in Morthal briefly, but they did not have a general goods store, so we made do with what we had. We made it to Ustengrav mid-morning, only to face bandits and necromancers before we even set one foot inside.

~~~~~~
For the second day in a row, I awoke not having had any dreams of the Lady, which meant I had a good night's sleep. I had a lot of thinking to do and some planning, but I knew I had time... I had all the time that I needed, she would come here, but it would not be in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment