Tuesday, March 1, 2016

From the Deepest Place to the Highest pg 27





Have you ever read a story that began "It's a dark and stormy night?" And you just knew it was a horror story? Well, let me tell you, it wasn't a dark and stormy morning when we left the Statue of Azura, it was a beautiful morning, bright and sunny, with only a few flurries of windblown snow and not much of that.

We had not made it to Aftland when Nelthas pointed out that there was something on top of one of the buildings that had not been there before. We got closer and yeah... a mechanical dragon? Were the Dwemer crazy? OK, don't answer that, I can see the answer to my question.

The worst thing was, there was a dragon inside that mechanical body and he wasn't happy. They had messed with him so much that he was crazy. Evidently, the expedition that had disappeared had started the process of waking him, we had finished when we were here the last time. Well, we put him back to sleep, when I absorbed his soul, I dug into it and then used it as hurriedly as I could on the "Storm Call" Thu'um that I really couldn't use, but it was better than hearing his voice inside my head.

Before we had gathered back together to go into Aftland, an Elder Dragon attacked, and if he wasn't enough, a family of Frost Trolls also decided to attack. It was an odd fight, to say the least, the Dragon was all upset about his friend dying, but at the same time, he said it was good that his soul was finally at rest. Well, I put him at rest also, well sorta, I could still feel him inside.

We headed into Aftland, the men walked ahead, and we ran into nothing until we found a member of the expedition, he was slightly crazy and attacked us. The sword Signar put through his chest laid him to rest and then we placed him next to his brother. I read the journal and then placed it next to both bodies, if someone else came before we got out, they would know who the two of them were, if not I would send word, via caravan about the demise of the brothers.

The Dwemer built well, both the building machinery and its wards were still very active. The men debated the whole time, Signar thought that the Dwermer got what they deserved messing with mechanical devices and turning from the Divines, Nelthas was fascinated by all the Machinery and said he would love to get an intact automaton to study. I'm not quite sure if he meant to watch or take apart piece by piece. Aranea said that she had heard debates about the Dwemer returning as abruptly as they disappeared.

I had talked to Yargrum at Tel Fyr... I probably knew more of the Dwemer than anyone left alive. I did not at all feel sorry for them, what they did, they did to themselves.... well mostly anyway. I did however feel pity for the Falmer, that we ran into, I felt a knot in my stomach as I looked down on the first of many Falmer that would die this day. Snow Elves, what was done to them, yes I felt some pity. No one deserved to live this way...generation after generation. At the same time, the Dwemer had been gone for so long, that had there been any sense left to them, they could have changed themselves long ago, changes that would have shown today.

When we entered Blackreach proper, there was no doubt. We stood on a balcony overlooking the area, all of us amazed at what we were seeing. Giant glowing mushrooms, some reaching almost to the ceiling, which also had some kind of glowing fungus or something that looked like multi-colored stars. There were crystalline rocks of some kind that gave off a soft bright light. There was a hum in the air that was almost inaudible, but it was beautiful in the same way listening to crickets on a warm summer's night is beautiful.

We probably would have stood there for a long while, if a Dwemer guardian hadn't decided to attack us at the moment. It really didn't stand much of a chance with the five of us attacking it. We did a quick check of the area, Signar and I on one side of the road, and Nelthas and Aranea went in the other, with Tex darting ahead of us going back and forth.

I was very happy to find a lift that took us right up to the top levels of Aftland, when we found the second lift that went directly outside, I was more than happy. In the distance, I had seen more Falmer and some creatures that I wasn't sure what they were, but if we didn't find the correct tower, Mzark, then we could sleep above ground.

This is pretty much what we did, Blackreach was a huge area and we had to search every tower. A giant ornate yellow ball that glowed with a light of its own, was centered over a walled fort-type area. We skirted that, as it had Falmer and some humans guarding it, though the humans seemed to be slaves, they fought alongside their masters. In the furthest corner, just when we all began to think that we would have to storm that fort to find the Elder Scroll, we found the correct tower and we were not the only ones to have found it.

Tex ran ahead and then came back with a skeletal arm in his mouth, the hand clutching a journal. Signar and he played an odd game of tug of war over the arm and journal, but finally, Signar had the journal and Tex had the arm... then spat it out. He handed me the book and I read through it quickly.

The Book, the Lexicon, buttons that lit up... four minds and a barking dog, but we figured it out and soon were on our way back to see Paarthurnax.

On the lift we debated the fastest way back to High Hrothgar, without the horses it would be a long walk, but not every town had carriage service.  At one point Signar asked why I had not learned to conjure up a horse. I looked at him and said I did know one, but he would still be walking, Nelthas and Aranea laughed, Tex just snorted and kept going.

We decided the walk to Whiterun was only slightly longer than the one to Windhelm and since our horses were in Whiterun, it made more sense to go there. We discussed our strategy with Alduin, the best way to defeat him. What was decided is that I would concentrate my Thu'um's on Dragonrend alone, to keep him on the ground as much as possible. If he got in the air, Aranea would heal whatever wounds we had, The men would close in from the sides, with Tex harrying his legs. I would conjure atronachs to harry him at a distance and also cast destruction spells with Aranea. Heal myself as needed.

We also talked about going back to Blachreach and making that a home away from home, when Whiterun got too hot with the Thalmor. Well, Nelthas and Aranea talked of it, Signar just took my hand and said nothing. I, on the other hand, knowing it might never be, for me at least, helped them to plan out a good "expedition", to head down.

It passed the days until we got to High Hrothgar, we took the horses through the Temple, as there was no way around. None of us might be in shape to ride down the mountain. I can not say that all the Greybeards were happy at seeing the horses walk through, but Borri had laughter in his eyes.

I walked ahead of everyone with Signar leading my horse, using "clear sky's" to clear the freezing fog. Tex walked by my side, I looked down into those Crystal blue eyes and saw eternity in them, then nothing but doggy devotion. Sometimes I let my own imagination run away with me.

We left the horses right at the gate to the Throat of the World, where the icy fog never reached. Paarthurnax was waiting for me.  He said he felt the Kelle, the Elder Scroll and that time was shuddering at its presence. I would need to hurry to the Time Wound, as Alduin would surely be here very soon.

I got a hug from everyone, except Tex who reared up on his hind legs and licked my cheek... and Signar, who hung back til the others walked away. He hugged me close and brought his lips to just touch mine, "I love you, do not get stuck in time, I do not want to have to track another of these scrolls down to go hunting for you". Then his lips pressed into mine and I thought he would crush me to the steel plate of his armor.

I walked away and opened the Elder Scroll...... I saw a thousand thousand lives, things that could happen, might happen, did happen, and then the words and scenes got so bright that I saw nothing. When I could again see, what I saw was a battle of dragons and men. Carnage, the bodies of both lay strewn over the battlefield like broken toys after a child had a tantrum.

Then they came, Paarthurnax's friends, they slew a dragon in front of me but they did not use the Dragonrend shout, it wasn't needed. Then they talked for a while, Alduin had not come to do battle with them, those he had met, died, their bodies littering the ground, their souls the fuel that Alduin used to continue to fight.

I listened as the elder one said that he had brought the Elder Scroll in case they could not defeat Alduin and heard the others say that that was not what they had agreed upon. But Alduin chooses that moment to appear, so I listened and I learned the Dragonrend Thu'um and heard what he thought of it.

I watched as the woman died and the two men fought a losing battle, the elder one then brought out the scroll and said some words that sent Alduin forward in time and me back to my own.

I was disoriented for a moment but heard Paarthurnax say that Alduin was coming... I should use the Dragonrend words to put him on the ground and he would be mortal for that time.

Our battle plans worked the way in which we thought they would, except for one small detail. By the time I felt Alduin weaken to the point he was using up the souls he collected, he flew off, I tried the Dragonrend shout, but it did not work.

We healed ourselves up and then went to talk to Paarthrunax.. I apologized for hitting him with the Dragonrend shout, but I had had no chance to see what kind of spread it had, it was more than I thought. He was not happy about it, but now he could honestly say he knew what I was capable of.

We talked for a bit and came to the conclusion that we would need to capture a dragon. There was only one place that any of us could come up with that would hold a dragon because it had held a dragon. I hoped I was still in the jarl's good graces. I am not sure I would be after suggesting trapping a dragon in his home, in his town, after he tried so hard to keep the Civil War away from its doors.

We left right away for Whiterun, stopping to let the Greybeards know what was happening. Borri is the only one that would come anywhere near us and I knew he would not speak. His eyes were again twinkling as we marched the horses through the Temple. I did stop and explain what was happening and also to make sure that the horses didn't leave anything behind.

As we exited the Temple, I looked down and sighed, it was at best a two-day trip. A day or two at home would not go amiss, we might be able to manage that. I was not looking forward to talking to the Jarl, but I would... the day after we got there, as I wanted time at home.







No comments:

Post a Comment